EGL Distance Learning 2013
Announcement: EGL Distance Learning 2013
Explore the emerging cross-platform rapid development environment from IBM that enables you to build Web, Web 2.0, and SOA solutions using EGL (IBM’s newest business language). Discover how quickly you can learn EGL and build state-of-the-art applications, all without getting bogged down in the technical complexities of middleware and runtime platforms.
Software programmers with 2+ years of experience using a computing language or platform, such as: COBOL, RPG, Visual Basic, PowerBuilder, Java, C/C++, PHP, or Ruby on Rails.
5 days total. 2 hours of e-conference time per day plus 3 to 5 additional hours of lab and workshop time per day.
Note: All workshops are in English only (unless otherwise noted in the announcement).
These instructor-led, free workshops provide an opportunity for you to learn EGL through e-conference-led presentations, and extensive hands-on labs, and experience EGL. Each day, the instructor will present two separate Web seminars to demonstrate techniques that include how to use the Eclipse workbench, EGL tooling, EGL (a deep-dive into the language), data access, Web 2.0 application development, and Service-Oriented Architecture.
After the Web seminars, you will be given exercises that include the topics of that day to complete. Class times and contact information are listed when you select a location and register for a session.
The workshops and hands-on lab exercises associated with the daily Web seminars will take between 3 to 5 hours a day to complete. An instructor will be available for questions. After completing the workshops, you will be ready to start building applications in EGL at or near production-requirements level on initial projects and pilots in your shop.
Here are two, one hour lecture sessions each day. One at 11:00 AM Eastern (New York City) Time, and the second at 2:00 PM Eastern Time – over an e-conference.
- Rational Business Developer 8.0.1.x installed(Download)
- At least two years of experience using a software programming language, for example, RPG, COBOL, PL/1, Visual Basic, or PowerBuilder.
- A general knowledge of SQL, computer skills, and a basic understanding of Web technologies is assumed.
- Eclipse IDE
- Using the development workbench
- Introduction and deep-dive into the EGL language
- Creating, consuming, and using 3rd party WSDLs
- EGL database and sequential file access
- EGL calling Java programs, and System i and System z resources (for example, calling RPG and COBOL programs remotely)
- Web 2.0 Terms and Concepts
- EGL/Rich UI introduction and project architecture
- EGL/Rich UI Programming Model
- Widgets and Views
- >Web 2.0 Programming Techniques (ex. Run-time HTML Drag & Drop)
- Calling Services:
- SOAP Web Services
- REST Services
- Inter-application communication and messaging
- Creating reusable components
And more …
- Dates1st Session (Each Day)2nd Session (Each Day)
- July 9, 2013 (Tuesday) 09:00 AM – 10:00 AM CST11:00 AM – 12:00 PM CST
- July 10, 2013 (Wednesday) 09:00 AM – 10:00 AM CST11:00 AM – 12:00 PM CST
- July 11, 2013 (Thursday) 09:00 AM – 10:00 AM CST11:00 AM – 12:00 PM CST